We’ve partnered with TerraCycle on an innovative recycling trial so our residents can recycle items usually headed for the burgundy waste bin.
Residents of Blackburn with Darwen can now recycle dental care products, biscuit and snack wrappers, coffee packaging and Pringles tubes at both of our Household Waste Recycling Centres and in Blackburn Market.
And, as well as being able to recycle typically non-recyclable items, residents can also raise money for Mayor’s charity East Lancashire Hospice.
Each bag of waste collected and dropped-off by residents to be recycled by TerraCycle will also earn points for the Council, which will then be redeemed as monetary donations for the Hospice.
The trial with TerraCycle, that was originally set to end in November 2022, has been extended to June 2023 so Blackburn with Darwen residents can take full advantage of this brilliant recycling initiative.
How does it work?
- Collect the relevant product packaging at home.
- Request free recycling labels using the form at www.recyclebwd.org/terracycle.
- Stick your label to any plastic bag of your choice (preferably a clear one, but any will do).
- Drop off the full plastic bag at your local Household Waste Recycling Centre or Blackburn Market.
- Each bag you drop off will earn points that can then be redeemed as monetary donations for the East Lancashire Hospice.
What items can I recycle?
All Pringles® tubes. Note: the lids can be recycled kerbside.
All brands of biscuit, cracker and cake wrappers. Note: chocolate bar wrappers and biscuit trays are not accepted.
All brands of flexible coffee packaging. Note: ground coffee, individual coffee bags and capsules are not accepted.
All brands of manual toothbrushes, dental floss containers, electric flosser nozzles, flossing sticks and interdental brushes. Note: toothpaste tubes, battery operated toothbrushes and dental floss are not accepted.